Articles Published in Scientific Peer-Reviewed Journals
1) LaVeist, Thomas A. (1989) Linking residential segregation and the infant mortality race disparity Sociology and Social Research, Vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 90-94
2) Neighbors, Harold W. and Thomas A. LaVeist. (1989) Socioeconomic status and psychological distress: The impact of material aid on economic problem severity Journal of Primary Prevention, Vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 149-165
3) LaVeist, Thomas A. (1990) Simulating the effects of poverty on the postneonatal mortality race disparity Journal of Public Health Policy, Vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 463-473
4) Jones, Camara, Thomas A. LaVeist and Marsha Lillie-Blanton. (1991) ‘Race’ in the epidemiologic literature: An examination of the American Journal of Epidemiology, 1921-1990 American Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 134, no. 10, pp. 1079-1084.
5) LaVeist, Thomas A. (1992) The Political empowerment and health status of African Americans: Mapping a new territory American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 97 no. 4, pp. 1080-1095.
6) LaVeist, Thomas A. (1993) Separation, Poverty and Empowerment: Health consequences for African Americans Milbank Quarterly, Vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 41-64.
7) LaVeist, Thomas A. (1994) Beyond Dummy Variables and Sample Selection: What Health Services Researchers Ought to Know about Race as a Variable. Health Services Research, Vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 1-16.
8) LaVeist, Thomas A., Verna M. Keith, and Mary Lou Gutierrez. (1995) Black/White Differences in Prenatal Care Utilization: An Assessment of Predisposing and Enabling Factors Health Services Research, Vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 44-48.
9) LaVeist, Thomas A. (1995) Data Sources for Research on Racial and Ethnic Groups@ The Gerontologist, Vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 328-339.
10) LaVeist, Thomas A., John M. Wallace, and Daniel L. Howard. (1995) The Color Line and the Health of African Americans: Baseline Data for the Twentieth Century Humbolt Journal of Social Relations, Vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 119-137.
11) Burton, Lynda, Judith Kasper, Andrew Shore, Thomas LaVeist, Catherine Cubbin, Katherine Cagney and Pearl German. (1995) The Structure of Informal Care: Are there differences by race? The Gerontologist, Vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 744-752.
12) LaVeist, Thomas A. (1996) Why We Should Continue to Study Race... But Do a Better Job: An Essay on Race, Racism and Health Ethnicity and Disease, Vol. 6, No. 1-2, pp. 21-29.
13) Lillie-Blanton, Marsha and Thomas A. LaVeist (1996) Race/Ethnicity, the Social Environment and Health Social Science and Medicine, Vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 83-91.
14) Howard, Daniel L., Thomas A. LaVeist and William Cass McCaughrin (1996) The Effect of Social Environment on Outcomes in Outpatient Substance Abuse Treatment: Does Race Really Matter? International Journal of the Addictions, Vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 617-638.
15) LaVeist, Thomas A., Chamberlain Diala, Myriam Torres, and James S. Jackson. (1996) Vital Status in the National Panel Survey of Black Americans: A Test of the National Death Index Among African Americans Journal of the National Medical Association, Vol.88, no.8, pp1-5.
16) Hardy, Janet, Sam Shapiro, E. David Mellits, Elizabeth A. Skinner, Nan Marie Astone, Margaret Ensminger, Thomas LaVeist, Rosemary A. Baumgardner, and Barbara H. Starfield. (1996) Self-sufficiency in Young Adulthood: Predictors of Educational Attainment From Birth to 18 Years in a Disadvantaged Urban Population Pediatrics, Vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 80-87.
17) LaVeist, Thomas A., Robert M. Sellers, Karin Elliott-Brown, and Kim J. Nickerson. (1997) Extreme Social Isolation, Use of Community Senior Services and Mortality Among African American Elderly Women American Journal of Community Psychology, Vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 721-732.
18) Onawola, Roland S. T. and Thomas LaVeist. (1998) Self-rated Health as a Determinant of Mortality Among African American Elders Journal of the National Medical Association, Vol. 90, no. 11, pp. 1-5.
19) LaVeist, Thomas A. (2000) On the study of race, racism, and health: A Shift from Description to explanation International Journal of Health Services, Vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 217-219.
20) LaVeist, Thomas A. and John Wallace. (2000) Health Risk and Inequitable Distribution of Liquor Stores in African American Neighborhoods Social Science and Medicine, Vol. 51, pp. 613-617.
21) LaVeist, Thomas A., Janice Bowie and Michelle Cooley-Quille. (2000) Minority health status in adulthood: the middle years of life HCFA Review, vol. 21, no.4, pp.9-22.
22) LaVeist, Thomas A., Kim Nickerson and Janice Bowie (2000) Attitudes about racism, medical mistrust and satisfaction with care among African American and white cardiac patients Medical Care Research & Review, Vol.57, Supplement 1, pp.146-161.
23) Diala, Chamberlain, Charles Muntaner, Christine Walrath, Thomas LaVeist, Kim Nickerson. (2000) Racial differences in attitudes toward professional mental health care and in the use of services. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, Vol. 70, no. 4 (October), pp. 455-464.
24) Diala, Chamberlain, Charles Muntaner, Christine Walrath, Kim Nickerson, Thomas LaVeist, Phil Leaf (2001) Racial and Ethnic Differences in Attitudes Toward Seeking Professional Mental Health Services American Journal of Public Health,. Vol. 91, no. 5 (May), pp. 805-807.
25) LaVeist, Thomas A., Robert Sellers, and Harold W. Neighbors. (2001) Perceived Racism and Self and System Blame Attribution: Consequences for Longevity Ethnicity and Disease, Vol. 11, no. 4 (Winter), pp. 711-721.
26) Bowie, Janice, Barbara Curbow, Thomas LaVeist, Sheila Fitzgerald, and Kenneth Pargament. (2001) The Relationship Between Religious Coping Style and Anxiety over Breast Cancer in African American Women Journal of Religion and Health, Vol. 40, No. 4, (Winter), pp.411-422
27) Katrina Bell-McDonald. and LaVeist, Thomas A. (2002)Black Educational Advantage in the Inner-city Review of Black Political Economy, Vol. 29, no. 1 (Summer)
28) Boulware, LE, Lloyd E. Ratner, Lisa A. Cooper, Julie Ann Sosa, Thomas A. LaVeist, Neil R. Powe. (2002) Understanding demographic disparities in donor behavior: race and gender differences in willingness to donate blood, and cadaveric organs Medical Care (February) Vol 40, No 2, pp. 85‑95.
29) Boulware, LE, Lloyd E. Ratner, Julie Ann Sosa, Lisa A. Cooper, Thomas A. LaVeist, Neil R. Powe, Determinants of Willingness to Donate Live and Cadaveric Organs: Identifying Opportunities for Intervention (2002) Transplantation Vol. 73, 1683-1691, No 10 (May 27)
30) Boulware, LE Ratner, PM Ness, S Campbell-Lee, LA Cooper, TA LaVeist, NR Powe. The Contribution of Sociodemographic, Medical, and Attitudinal Factors to Blood Donation among the General Public (2002) Transfusion 42:669-678 (June)
31) Tarver-Carr, Michelle; Neil R. Powe, Mark S. Eberhardt, Thomas LaVeist, Raynard L. Kington, Josef Coresh, Frederick L. Brancati. Excess Risk of Chronic Kidney Disease in African Americans Versus Whites in the United States: A Population-Based Study of Potential Explanatory Factors (2002) Journal of the American Society of Nephrology Sep;13(9):2363‑70.
32) LaVeist, Thomas A. and McDonald, Katrina Bell. Black Educational Advantage Among Similarly-Situated Urban Poor (2002) Social Science Quarterly Vol. 83, No. 3 Pp. 832-852
33) LaVeist, Thomas A., Athol Morgan, Melanie M. Arthur, Stephen Plantholt, and Michael Rubinstein. Physician Referral Patterns and Race Differences in Receipt of Coronary Angiography (2002) Health Services Research Vol 37, No. 4 Pp949-962
34) LaVeist, Thomas A. and Amani Nuru-Jeter. Does doctor-patient race concordance lead to greater satisfaction with care (2002) Journal of Health and Social Behavior Vol 43 No. 3 Pp296-306
35) LaVeist, Thomas A. and Tamyra Carroll. Race of Physician and Satisfaction with Care Among African American Patients (2002) Journal of the National Medical Association Vol. 94, No. 11 Pp.937-943
36) Bowie, Janice, Barbara Curbow, Thomas LaVeist, Sheila Fitzgerald, and James Zaboa. (2002) The Theory of Planned Behavior and Repeat Mammography Intention in African American women Journal of Psychosocial Oncology Vol. 21, No4. 23 - 42
37) LaVeist, Thomas A., Nicole C. Rolley, and Chamberlain Diala. Prevalence and patterns of discrimination among US healthcare consumers (2003) International Journal of Health Services Vol 33, No 2, Pages 331-344
38) LaVeist, Thomas, Melanie Arthur, Athol Morgan, Michael Rubinstein, and Stephen Plantholt. The Cardiac Access Study: A Study of Access to Invasive Cardiology Among white and African American patients (2003) Journal of the American College of Cardiology Apr 2;41(7):1159-66
39) LaVeist, Thomas, Melanie Arthur, and Janice Bowie (2003) Race differences in the process of care among patients with heart disease Phylon 50(1-2):115-126
40) LaVeist, Thomas A., Athol Morgan, Melanie M. Arthur, Stephen Plantholt, and Michael Rubinstein (2003). Race Differences in Receipt of Coronary Angiography: The Role of Physician Referral. Medical Care Research and Review Dec;60(4):453-67
41) Kuzel, AJ, SH Woolf, JD Engel, VJ Gilchrist, RM Frankel, TA LaVeist, C Vincent (2003) Making the case for a qualitative study of medical errors in primary care Qualitative Health Research Vol 13, No 6 Pp 743-780
42) Boulware LE, Cooper LA, Ratner LE, LaVeist TA, Powe NR (2003) Race and trust in healthcare Public Health Reports Jul-Aug;118(4):358-65
43) LaVeist, Thomas A. (2003) Racial Segregation and Longevity among African Americans: An individual-level analysis Health Services Research. vol 38, no 6, part 2 Pp 1719-1734
44) Wallace, J.M., Jr., Brown, T.N., Bachman, J. G., LaVeist, T.A. (2003) Religion, Race and Abstinence from Drug Use Among American Adolescents Journal of Studies on Alcohol Nov; 64(6):843-8
45) LaVeist, TA. and Amani Nuru-Jeter (2003) Doctor/Patient Race Concordance and Utilization of health services Journal of Public Health Policy ;24(3-4):312-23.
46) Kuzel AJ, Woolf SH, Gilchrist VJ, Engel JD, LaVeist TA, Vincent C, Frankel RM. (2004) Patient reports of preventable problems and harms in primary health care. Annals Family Medicine. Jul-Aug;2(4):333-40
47) Boulware LE, Ratner LE, Cooper LA, LaVeist TA, Powe NR (2004) Whole body donation for medical science: a population-based study” Clinical Anatomy Oct;17(7):570-7.
48) Lee, Rosilyn, TA LaVeist and M Ensminger (2005) The responsibility continuum: never primary, coresident and caregiver--heterogeneity in the African-American grandmother experience International Journal of Aging and Human Development, Vol. 60 (4) 295-304,
49) Gross S, Gary T, Browne D & LaVeist TA (2005) Gender Differences in Self-Perception of Body Size and Body Satisfaction among Graduating Seniors form a Historically Black College Journal of the National Medical Association Dec;97(12):1608-19.
50) Isaac LA, Brandon DT, LaVeist TA (2005) The Legacy of Tuskegee and Trust in Medical Care: Is Tuskegee Responsible for Race Differences in Mistrust of Medical Care? Journal of the National Medical Association Jul;97(7):951-6.
51) LaVeist, TA. (2005) Disentangling Race and Socioeconomic Status: A Key to solving health disparities Journal of Urban Health Jun;82(2 Suppl 3):iii26-34.
52) Gary TL, Gross S, Browne D & LaVeist TA (2006) “The College Health and Wellness Study: Baseline Correlates of Overweight Among African Americans Journal of Urban Health Mar; 83(2):253-65.
53) Airhihenbuwa CO, LaVeist TA. (2006) Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health (REACH) 2010” Health Promotion Practice Jul;7(3 Suppl):174S-5S.
54) Gregory PC, LaVeist TA, Simpson C (2006) Racial Disparities in Access to Cardiac Rehabilitation” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Sep;85(9):705-10.
55) Nguyen GC, LaVeist TA, Gearhart S, Bayless TM, Brant SR. (2006) Racial and Geographic Variations in Colectomy Rates in Hospitalized Ulcerative Colitis Patients. Clinical Gasteroenterology Hepatology. Dec;4(12):1507-1513.
56) Gary TL, Stark SA, LaVeist TA (2007) Neighborhood Characteristics and Mental Health among African Americans and Whites living in an Racially Integrated Urban Community” Health and Place Jun;13(2):569-75.
57) Casagrande SS, Gary, TL, LaVeist TA, Gaskin DJ, Cooper, LA. “Perceived Discrimination and Adherence to Medical Care in a Racially Integrated Community.” Journal of General Internal Medicine 2007 Mar;22(3):389-95. PMCID1824749
58) Gibbons MC, Brock M, Alberg AJ, Glass T, Laveist TA, Baylin S, Levine D, Fox CE. (2007) The Sociobiologic Integrative Model (SBIM): Enhancing the Integration of Sociobehavioral, Environmental, and Biomolecular Knowledge in Urban Health and Disparities Research. Journal of Urban Health. Mar;84(2):198-211
59) Downing RA, LaVeist TA, Bullock HE (2007) “Are low-income women discouraged from having children? Intersections of ethnicity and social class in perceptions of reproductive health care” American Journal of Public Health Oct;97(10):1803-7
60) LaVeist TA, Thorpe RJ, Mance GA, Jackson J. (2007) “Overcoming confounding of race with socioeconomic status and segregation to explore race disparities in smoking” Addition Oct;102 Suppl 2:65-70.
61) Nguyen GC, Tuskey A, Bayless TM, LaVeist TA, Brant SR. (2007) “Community-based Health Preferences for Proctocolectomy: A Race Comparison” Dig Dis Sci.Sep 1
62) Nguyen GC, LaVeist TA, Brant SR. (2007) The utilization of parenteral nutrition during the inpatient management of inflammatory bowel disease in the United States - a national survey. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. Oct 11
63) LaVeist, T., Bowen-Reid, T., Jackson, J., Gary, T., Thorpe, R., Gaskin, D., Browne, D. (2008) “Exploring Health Disparities in Integrated Communities: Overview of the EHDIC Study” Journal of Urban Health Jan;85(1):11-21. PMCID2430138
64) Gaskin DJ, Spencer CS, Richard R, Anderson G, Powe NR, LaVeist TA (2008) “Do hospitals provide lower quality care to minorities compared to whites?” Health Affairs Mar-Apr;27(2):518-27.
65) LaVeist TA, Relosa R, Sawaya N. (2008) “The COA360: a tool for assessing cultural competency of Healthcare Organizations” Journal of Healthcare Management 53:4 July/August
66) Nuru-Jeter A, Williams CT, LaVeist TA. (2008) “A methodological note on modeling the effects of race: The case of psychological distress” Stress and Health DOI:10.1002/smi.1213
67) Thorpe, R., Brandon, D., and LaVeist, TA. (2008) “Social Context as an explanation for race disparities in hypertension: Findings from the Exploring Health Disparities in Integrated Communities (EHDIC) Study” Social Science and Medicine Nov;67(10):1604-11. Epub Aug 12. NIHMS74871
68) Nguyen GC, LaVeist TA, Segev DL, Thuluvath PJ. (2008) “Race is a predictor of in-hospital mortality after cholecystectomy, especially in those with portal hypertension” Clinical Gasteroenterology Hepatology. Oct;6(10):1146-54.
69) Becker D, Klassen AC, Koenigc MA, LaVeist TA, Sonensteinc FL, Tsui AO (2009) “Women’s perspectives on family planning service quality: An exploration of differences by race, ethnicity and language” Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. Sep;41(3):158-65.
70) Nguyen GC, Sam J, Murthy SK, Kaplan GG, Tinmouth JM, LaVeist TA. (2009) “Hospitalizations for inflammatory bowel disease: Profile of the uninsured in the United States” Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Vol 15(5) 726-733.
71) Nguyen GC, LaVeist TA, Harris ML, Datta LW, Bayless TM, Brant SR. “Patient trust-in-physician and race are predictors of adherence to medical management in inflammatory bowel disease.” Inflammatory Bowel Disease. 2009 Aug 15(8):1233-9.
72) LaVeist T, Williams K, Isaac L. “Mistrust of Healthcare Organizations is Associated with Underutilization of Health Services.” Health Services Research. 2009 Sep (44)6: 2093-2105.
73) Gaskin DJ, Price A, Brandon DT, LaVeist TA. “Segregation and Disparities in Health Services Use” Medical Care Research and Review. 2009 Oct 66(5): 578-89.
74) LaVeist TA, Thorpe R, Galarraga JE, Bower KM, Gary-Webb TL. “Environmental and Socio-Economic Factors as Contributors to Racial Disparities in Diabetes prevalence.” Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2009 Oct 24(10):1144-8. PMCID2762509
75) Bowie JV, Juon HS, Dubay L, Lebrun L, Curbow B, Thorpe RJ, LaVeist TA. “Cancer Prevention Behaviors in Low-Income Urban Whites: An Understudied Problem” Journal of Urban Health. 2009 Nov 86(6):861-71. PMCID2791816
76) Washington HA, Baker RB, Olakanmi O, Savitt TL, Jacobs EA, Hoover E, Wynia MK; Writing Group on the History of African Americans and the Medical Profession, Blanchard J, Boulware LE, Braddock C, Corbie-Smith G, Crawley L, LaVeist TA, Maxey R, Mills C, Moseley KL, Williams DR. “Segregation, civil rights, and health disparities: the legacy of African American physicians and organized medicine, 1910-1968.” Journal of the National Medical Association 2009 Jun;101(6):513-27.
77) Baker RB, Washington HA, Olakanmi O, Savitt TL, Jacobs EA, Hoover E, Wynia MK; Writing Group on the History of African Americans and the Medical Profession, Blanchard J, Boulware LE, Braddock C, Corbie-Smith G, Crawley L, LaVeist TA, Maxey R, Mills C, Moseley KL, Williams DR. “Creating a segregated medical profession: African American physicians and organized medicine, 1846-1910.” Journal of the National Medical Association 2009 Jun;101(6):501-12.
78) Bleich SN, Thorpe RJ, Sharif-Harris H, Fesahazion F, LaVeist TA “Social Context explains race disparities in obesity among women” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2010 May;64(5):465-9. NIHMS292474
79) LaVeist TL, Zeno TL, Fesahazion RG (In Press) “The Effects of Mother’s Marital Status on Adolescent and Young Adult Health and Economic Well-Being Among African Americans” Journal of Family Issues 2010 Aug:31(8):1065-1080
80) Steinwachs D; Allen, DS; Barlow WE; Duncan RP; Egede LE; Friedman LS; Keating NL; Kim P; Lave JR; LaVeist TA; Ness RB; Optican RJ; Virnig BA “National Institutes of Health State-of-the-Science Conference Statement: Enhancing Use and Quality of Colorectal Cancer Screening” Annals of Internal Medicine 2010 May 18;152(10):663-7
81) Bell CN, Thorpe RJ Jr, Laveist TA. “Race/Ethnicity and hypertension: the role of social support.” American Journal of Hypertension. 2010 May;23(5):534-40. Epub 2010 Feb 25.
82) Nguyen GC, LaVeist TA, Harris ML, Wang MH, Datta LW, Brant SR. “Racial disparities in utilization of specialist care and medications in inflammatory bowel disease.” American Journal of Gastroenteroly. 2010 Oct;105(10):2202-8
83) Evans MK, Lepowski JM, Powe NR, LaVeist TA, Kuczmarski MF, Zonderman AB. “Healthy Aging in Neighbors of Diversity Across the Life Span (HANDLS): Overcoming barriers to implementing a longitudinal epidemiologic urban study of health, race and socioeconomic status” Ethnicity and Disease. 2010 Summer;20(3):267-75.
84) Franklin FA, LaVeist TA, Webster DW, Pan WK. “Alcohol outlets and violent crime in Washington, D.C.” West Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2010 Aug;11(3):283-90.
85) LaVeist-Ramos TA, Galarraga J, Thorpe RT, Bell C, Austin CJ “Are Black Hispanics Black or Hispanic?: Exploring Health Disparities at the Intersection of Race and Ethnicity” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health (In press)
86) LaVeist TA, Gaskin DJ, Richard R “Estimating the Economic Burden of Racial Health Inequalities in the United States” International Journal of Health Services 2011 Apr:41(2):231-238
87) Nuru-Jeter AM, Laveist TA. Racial Segregation, Income Inequality, and Mortality in US Metropolitan Areas Journal of Urban Health. 2011 Apr;88(2):270-82
88) Braveman P, Kumanyika S, Fielding J, LaVeist T, Borrell L, Manderscheid R, Troutman A. “Health Disparities and Health Equity: The Issue Is Justice.” Am J Public Health. 2011 Dec;101 Suppl 1:S149-55. Epub 2011 May 6. 2012 American Journal of Public Health, Article of the Year.
89) Gaskin DJ, Spencer CS, Richard P, Anderson G, Powe NR, LaVeist TA “Do Minority Patients Use Lower Quality Hospitals?” Inquiry. 2011 Fall;48(3):209-20
90) Purnell TS, Powe NR, Troll M, Wang NY, LaVeist TA, Boulware LE. Donor
Designation: Racial and Ethnic Differences in United States Non-Designators Preferred Methods for Disclosing Intent to Donate Organs. Transplant International. Oct;24(10):999-1007. doi: 10.1111/j.1432-2277.2011.01301.x. Epub 2011 Jul 21.
91) LaVeist TA, Pollack P, Fesahazion RG, Thorpe, RR, Gaskin DJ. "Place Not Race: Disparities Dissipate in Southwest Baltimore When Black and Whites Live Under Similar Conditions" Health Affairs 2011 Oct;30(10):1880-7.
92) Lebrun LA, LaVeist TA. “Black/White racial disparities in health: a cross-country comparison of Canada and the United States.” Achieves of Internal Medicine. 2011 Sep 26;171(17):1591-3.
93) Bleich SN, Jarlenski MP, Bell CN, Laveist TA. “Health Inequalities: Trends, Progress, and Policy.” Annual Rev Public Health. 2011 Apr 4.
94) Nuru-Jeter A, Williams CT, LaVeist TA. “Distinguishing the Race Specific Effects of Income Inequality and Mortality in U.S. Metropolitan Areas” Int J Health Serv [in press]
95) Pollack KM, LaVeist T. “Advancing understanding of racial and ethnic inequalities in injury research.” Injury Prevention 2012 Apr;18(2):143-4
96) Reese AM, Thorpe RJ Jr, Bell CN, Bowie JV, Laveist TA. “The Effect of Religious Service Attendance on Race Differences in Depression: Findings from the EHDIC-SWB Study.” Journal of Urban Health. 2012 Feb 10
97) Hatzfeld JJ, LaVeist TA, Gaston-Johansson FG “Racial/Ethnic Disparities in the Prevalence of Selected Chronic Diseases Among US Air Force Members, 2008” Prev Chronic Dis. 2012 Jun;9:E112. Epub 2012 Jun 14.
98) Bhatnagar P, Lu X, Evans MK, LaVeist TA, Zonderman AB, Carter DL, Arking DE, Fletcher CA. “Genetic Variants in Platelet Factor 4 Modulate Inflammatory and Platelet Activation Biomarkers.” Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2012 Jul 4.
99) Fesahazion RG, Thorpe Jr. RJ, Bell CN, LaVeist TA. ”Disparities in alcohol use: Does race matter as much as place?” Preventive Medicine Volume 55, Issue 5, November 2012, Pages 482–484
100) Thorpe RJ Jr, Bowie JV, Wilson-Frederick SM, Coa KI, LaVeist TA. “Association Between Race, Place, and Preventive Health Screenings Among Men: Findings From the Exploring Health Disparities in Integrated Communities Study.” Am J Mens Health. 2013, 7(3) 220-227
101) Bower K, Thorpe, Jr, RJ, & LaVeist TA. Perceived Racial Discrimination and Mental Health in Low-income Urban-dwelling Whites. Int J Health Serv. 2013;43(2):267-80.
102) Thorpe Jr. RJ, Wilson-Frederick S, Bowie JV, Coa K, Clay O, LaVeist TA, Whitfield KE. Health Behaviors and All-Cause Mortality in African American Men” American Journal of Men’s Health 2013 Jul;7(4 Suppl):8S-18S. doi: 10.1177/1557988313487552. Epub 2013 May 6.
103) Sheppard VB, Mays D, LaVeist T, Tercyak KP. Medical mistrust influences black women's level of engagement in BRCA 1/2 genetic counseling and testing. J Natl Med Assoc. 2013 Spring;105(1):17-22.
104) Purnell TS, Powe NR, Troll MU, Wang NY, Haywood C Jr, Laveist TA, Boulware LE. Measuring and explaining racial and ethnic differences in willingness to donate live kidneys in the United States. Clin Transplant. 2013 Aug 1. doi: 10.1111/ctr.12196. [Epub ahead of print]
105) Lebrun LE and LaVeist TA. (2013) Health Status among black Canadians: results from a national study. Canadian Ethnic Studies volume 25 number 1-2 (2013), 143-155
106) Gaskin DJ, Thorpe RJ Jr, McGinty EE, Bower K, Rohde C, Young JH, Laveist TA, Dubay L. Disparities in Diabetes: The Nexus of Race, Poverty, and Place. Am J Public Health. 2013 Nov 14. [Epub ahead of print]
107) Whitaker SM, Bowie JV, McCleary R, Gaskin DJ, Laveist TA, Thorpe RJ Jr. The Association Between Educational Attainment and Diabetes Among Men in the United States. Am J Mens Health. 2014 Jan 14.
108) LaVeist TA, Pierre G. Integrating the 3Ds--social determinants, health disparities, and health-care workforce diversity. Public Health Reports. 2014 Jan-Feb;129 Suppl 2:9-14.
109) Smolen JR, Thorpe RJ Jr, Bowie JV, Gaskin DJ, LaVeist TA. Health insurance and chronic conditions in low-income urban whites. J Urban Health. 2014 Aug;91(4):637-47. doi: 10.1007/s11524-014-9875-6.
110) LaVeist TA, Thorpe RJ Jr, Pierre G, Mance GA, Williams DR. The Relationships Among Vigilant Coping Stype, Race and Depression. J Soc Issues. 2014 Jun 1;70(2):241-255.
111) Thorpe RJ Jr, Bowie JV, Smolen JR, Bell CN, Jenkins ML Jr, Jackson J, LaVeist TA. Racial disparities in hypertension awareness and management: are there differences among African Americans and Whites living under similar social conditions? Ethn Dis. 2014 Summer;24(3):269-75.
112) Wilson-Frederick SM, Thorpe RJ Jr, Bell CN, Bleich SN, Ford JG, LaVeist TA. Examination of race disparities in physical inactivity among adults of similar social context. Ethn Dis. 2014 Summer;24(3):363-9.
113) Thorpe RJ Jr, Bell CN, Kennedy-Hendricks A, Harvey J, Smolen JR, Bowie JV, LaVeist TA. Disentangling Race and Social Context in Understanding Disparities in Chronic Conditions among Men. J Urban Health. (In Press)
114) Eisen, C.H., Bowie, J.V., Gaskin, D.J., LaVeist, T.A., Thorpe, R.J., (In Press). The contribution of social and environmental factors to race differences in dental services use, South-west Baltimore. Journal of Urban Health. (In Press)